Did you know cold-water fish are a great source of omega-3-fatty acids?
For your eye health cold-water fish has protective effects against AMD, cataracts and dry eye syndrome because of its high concentration of omega-3-fatty acids (DHA and EPA).
Omega 6 and Omega 3 Fatty Acids:
- Omega 3 fatty acids are anti-inflammatory. Omega 6 fatty acids are pro-inflammatory.
- It’s all about balance, the ideal ratio of Omega 6 to Omega 3 is 4:1 or less. The average North American has a ratio of 15:1 or higher.
- Avoid foods that are high in omega 6 fatty acid such as processed foods.
- Look for foods high in omega 3 fatty acids – such as cold-water fish.
Eyefoods Fish Recommendations:
- Eat cold water fish, 4 per week gives you 850mg of DHA and EPA per day.
- One Eyefoods serving of fish is the size of a deck of cards.
- Small fish tend to have fewer contaminants such as mercury and PCB’s when compared to larger fish.
- Eat wild salmon, sardines, rainbow trout and mackerel – they are high in omega 3 fatty acids and low in contaminants.
Eyefoods Rule of thumb: if the entire fish fits on your dinner plate it is probably safe to eat.