- Orange peppers are one of the best food sources of that macular pigment zeaxanthin.
- They make a great addition to salads and stir fry’s.
Orange peppers have the highest amount of eye nutrients of all of the coloured peppers! They are an all-star Eyefood!
Orange peppers are one of the best food sources of zeaxanthin. Zeaxanthin along with lutein is a macular pigment that may reduce the risk of age-related macular degeneration. Half of an orange pepper contains approximately 2mg of zeaxanthin, the amount present in AREDS 2 used for prevention of AMD.
Orange peppers are a great source of antioxidants. They contain more vitamin C than all other colored peppers as well as over 3 times the amount of vitamin C in an orange. They are also the highest vegetable source of vitamin E, making them a great low calorie source of vitamin E as it is more commonly found in fats and oils.
Here’s some great ways to incorporate this Eyefood into your diet:
- Add chopped peppers to a spinach or bean salad.
- Sauté orange, yellow and red peppers with skinless boneless turkey breast.
- Enjoy raw as a snack.
- Add chopped orange peppers to your omelet.