Did you know regular exercise helps to decrease the risk of macular degeneration?
- Macular degeneration is the leading cause of blindness in the western world.
- Adults should participate in moderate to intense physical activity for 30 minutes everyday and kids for 1 hour everyday.
Physical activity is essential for a healthy lifestyle. We are all well aware of the long term health benefits of exercise and physical activity, but making physical activity a regular part of your life will help you feel younger, stronger, and more energetic right now.
We recommend regular exercise as part of an eye friendly lifestyle. Exercising at least 3 times per week can slow the progression of macular degeneration.
Increased physical activity can also decrease the risk of cardiovascular disease and stroke. Other health benefits of physical exercise include weight control, stronger muscles and bones, reduced stress, and increased energy and vitality.
The Public Health Agency of Canada recommends:
- Adults: 2.5 hours of moderate to vigorous intensity physical activity per week.
- Children and youth: 60 minutes of moderate to vigorous intensity physical activity per day.
- If you have any health concerns, consult your physician before starting any new exercise program.